ECMD Home temp
About the Energy Conservation and Management Division
The Energy Conservation and Management Division (ECMD) is leading the state’s charge toward clean energy adoption. ECMD is committed to developing and deploying solutions that will maximize New Mexico’s renewable energy resources and improve energy efficiency and transportation standards. Through effective policies and innovative programs, ECMD has positioned New Mexico as a leader in clean energy innovation, which will generate quality jobs, attract investment opportunities, and accelerate economic growth.
ECMD develops and implements effective clean energy programs — renewable energy, energy efficiency, alternative fuels, and safe transportation of radioactive waste — to promote economic growth, environmental sustainability, and wise stewardship of our natural resources while protecting public health and safety for New Mexico and its citizens.
What We Do
- We research, collect, and analyze data and information to inform state energy security planning, regulation, program administration, and policy development.
- We convene productive conversations about New Mexico’s energy challenges and opportunities that consider a diverse range of perspectives, foster collaboration and innovative solutions, and facilitate the sharing of best practices with consumers and stakeholders.
- We provide technical assistance, educational resources, and advice to support policy makers, local governments, industry, energy stakeholders, and the general public in solving energy challenges and meeting New Mexico’s energy, economic, and climate goals.
Energy Technology and Engineering
- We manage and administer statutorily authorized energy programs to save energy, support the state’s decarbonization efforts, make communities more resilient, and position New Mexico to lead by example.
- Sustainability and resilience
- We ensure the safe and uneventful transport of nuclear waste in and through the state.