Programs & Services

Know Before You Go – FAQs

  1. Home
  2. Know Before You Go - FAQs

Know Before You Go

The Frequently Asked Questions will be updated to provide the latest information. We look forward to serving you on your next adventure at a New Mexico State Park.

Which state parks are open for day-use only?
Will I get a refund for my reservation at a state park that closed due to extreme fire conditions?

Yes, you will be fully refunded by Reserve America.

Is New Mexico State Parks waiving fees for wildfire evacuees?

Yes. Park fees and the 14-day stay limit are waived for evacuees from communities impacted by the wildfires. Park staff may ask for additional information.    

Can I buy a day-use Pass online?

Yes. We encourage you to buy a Day Use Pass online from Reserve America even before you get to the park. You can also buy your $5 Day Use Pass when you get to the park at one of our many self-pay stations.

We encourage visitors to have the exact cash amount, as change cannot be made through the self-pay system.

To purchase a Day Use Pass – Click Here

Which Parks remain closed to camping?
  • Cimarron Canyon State Park
  • Fenton Lake State Park
  • Hyde Memorial State Park
  • Manzano Mountains State Park
  • Morphy Lake State Park
  • Pecos Canyon State Park


  • PLEASE NOTE: The Rio Grande Nature Center State Park, Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park, Cerrillos Hills State Park and Living Desert Zoo and Gardens do not offer camping but will continue to provide day use access. Please visit their park page for hours of operation.
Are state parks collecting day-use fees?


What are the state parks day-use fees?

In general, the day-use fee is $5 per vehicle. In an effort to continue to reduce contact between visitors and staff, we strongly encourage visitors to use exact change or a check when visiting open parks. Please use the self-pay stations where available. The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens charges a per person fee. Visitor centers remain closed making some credit card payments unavailable.


Are state parks selling Annual Permits?

Annual Day-Use Permits may be purchased at parks at a cost of $40. The Annual Day-Use Permit is valid for 12 months from the month of purchase. Be advised that no refunds can be made on the annual permits. We strongly encourage visitors to use exact change or a check. Visitor centers remain closed making some credit card payments unavailable.

Annual Camping Permits are available for sale at state parks.

Are Annual Camping Permits that were previously purchased being extended?

Annual Camping Permits (ACP) that were purchased from March 2019 through February 2021 will be extended to provide a full 12-month value of the permit. ACPs purchased during this time will be honored for 12-months of validity or may be replaced with a new permit that indicates the new expiration date. Holders of ACPs that are eligible for extension must present the previously issued ACP stickers or the original yellow receipt copy.

What day-use activities are allowed?

Boating, fishing, hiking, wildlife viewing, and picnicking.

What facilities are closed?

Some visitor centers, some group shelters, and some special use facilities are closed. Yurts at Hyde Memorial State Park are closed.  Check the specific park page for additional information.

Can I reserve a group shelter for the day?

Group shelters are available in some parks by reservation. Check the specific park pages and the campsite reservations pages for additional information.

Can I build a campfire?

In parks that are open for camping, some parks may allow for campfires and others may not depending on the local fire conditions. Please see the Parks Alerts section for each park for the latest on fire restrictions and other information.

Are park concessionaires open?

Park concessionaires open; however, some services and operations may be limited.

Are pets allowed?

Pets are allowed at most state parks. At Rio Grande Nature Center State Park and Living Desert Zoo & Gardens State Park only service dogs are allowed. Please remember to bring food and water for your furry friends.

Are boats required to be registered (i.e. Certificate of Number) when on the water in 2021?

Before heading out on the water, please ensure your boat registration (Certificate of Number) is current. All N.M. Motor Vehicle Division offices are open for vessel registration and expired registration can be renewed online. Click here to renew your registration online. For all other vessel processing, the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division field offices are open for appointments. Click here to make an appointment.

Is swimming allowed?

Some parks have designated no swimming areas. In areas where swimming is allowed, swim at your own risk. It is recommended that children have adult supervision and wear a life-jacket when they are near the water (e.g., shoreline, river bank).

How can I get more information about state parks?

Please follow us on our press releases and social media channels