Lake Valley Mine Safeguard Project – Phase IV
The Lake Valley Mine Safeguard Project – Phase IV area is located in and around the ghost town of Lake Valley, seventeen miles south of the town of Hillsboro, in Sierra County, New Mexico. The project area (see Figures 1 and 2) is on private land in Sections 20, 21, and 33, of Township 18 South, Range 7 West.
This project involves the following work:
- Backfilling of one mine opening using mine waste and other nearby material.
- Construction of a bat gate inside a corrugated steel pipe culvert with a polyurethane foam (PUF) plug at one decline.
- Construction of an airflow closure with corrugated steel pipe riser inside polyurethane foam (PUF) and concrete plugs and concrete encasement at one shaft.
- Construction of horizontal bat compatible closures with corrugated steel pipe risers, precast concrete units, concrete collars, and PUF plugs at ten shafts.
- Construction of bat cupolas at two shafts, one with a polyurethane foam plug, corrugated steel pipe riser, scoria fill, precast concrete units and concrete collar and one with a concrete footing placed on a cast-in-place concrete plug on a PUF plug.
- Construction of a polyurethane foam plug closure with scoria fill and clay plug at one shaft and a PUF plug at another shaft (as an alternative).
- Construction of large toroid tire plug closures, with small toroid mats and geotextile mesh and cloth, at one shaft (as an alternative), one decline and two stope openings.
- Construction of steel mesh airflow closures with rock anchors at four shafts and an underground room.
- Closure of temporary construction access roads and obliteration of specified existing roads.
- Seeding of all areas disturbed by construction, including temporary construction access roads and obliterated roads.
At least two bat species use many of the mine features for night roosting, hibernation and maternity activity. These species include Corynorhinus townsendii and Myotis ciliolabrum.
BID DOCUMENT – Please follow instructions below:
- Please READ all information in project manual before submitting a bid.
- Upon entering all your data into form do a “SAVE AS” and save into your computer if you wish to save document.
- To print click on the FILE tab then arrow down to PRINT.
- Sign form and mail to:
General Services Department
P.O. Box 6850
Santa Fe, NM 87502
You may link to the all Specifications and Maps below.
Project Manual: Lake Valley Specifications (pdf 3Mb)
|Location information (Figs. 2 through 11) not available to the general public:|
|Figure 1 (6.7 meg pdf) – Title Sheet||Figure 24 – Bat Cupola Details|
|Figure 2 – Project Sites||Figure 25 – Bat Cupola Details|
|Figures 3 – 10 Site Locations||Figure 26 – Bat Gate|
|Figure 11 – Map Detail near F.049-087S||Figure 27 – Steel Mesh Closures|
|Figure 12 – Steel Mesh Closures||Figure 28 – Bat Cupola|
|Figure 13 – Toroid Plug Closures||Figure 29 – Bat Cupola Details|
|Figure 14 – Horiz. Bat Gate||Figure 30 – Horiz. Bat Gate|
|Figure 15 – Airflow Closure||Figure 31 – Horiz. Bat Gate|
|Figure 16 – Toroid Plug||Figure 32 – PUF Plug|
|Figure 17 – Closure Frame Details||Figure 33 – Toroid or PUF Plug|
|Figure 18 – Horiz. Bat Gate||Figure 34 – Horiz. Bat Gate|
|Figure 19 – Horiz. Bat Gate||Figure 35 – Latticework & Hatch Details|
|Figure 20 – Horiz. Bat Gate||Figure 36 – Removable Crossbar Lock Details|
|Figure 21 – Horiz. Bat Gate||Figure 37 – Detail Waterbars & Vehicular Barrier|
|Figure 22 – Horiz. Bat Gate||Figure 38– Shaft Backfill Designs|
|Figure 23 – Bat Cupola|
Year Completed: 2011
Project Engineer: John Kretzmann, P.E.
Project Manager: Lloyd Moiola
Relevant Map: General Site Location Map
Sample photos from typical site features
Feature Rattle Snake Shaft
Feature 048-21 Open Cut
Feature 048-35 Strieby Shaft
Feature 049-87 Shaft
Feature 050-131 Decline
Feature 052-89 Shaft
Structure 046-104.1 Underground Room
Feature 049-21 Decline Opening
Feature 048-35 Strieby Shaft Looking down
Feature 049-87 Shaft looking down
Feature 051-81 Shaft
Feature 052-89 Shaft Cover